Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Secret Way of Jesus and Two Great Videos!

I have been continuing my "marathon" reading of the Gospel of John and read something that I have been thinking a lot about over the last day or so. In John 7:4 Jesus' brothers say to him, "You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world!"

It goes on to say that Jesus went to Judea also however "not publicly, but in secret". I guess I am hearing Jesus say his way was never meant to be something that was we made public spectacle of. But isn't that what we have done? Aren't we very guilty of this? Flaunting Jesus and toss his name around every chance we get? He isn't some freak show that does neat tricks so that we can all watch. His way is different. I'm not even sure I know what all is involved in following it. I just know for me it is the way, the truth and the life. Forgive us Jesus when we make a public spectacle of you. You deserve more than just to be put on a piece of jewelry or stamped on a dollar bill.

On a totally unrelated(and much lighter)note, here are some great videos! Enjoy!
Mike Cope Sings the Classics
Song Leader Revolution

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Doug, those videos were hilarious. Ha. I agree with you about how Christians have made Jesus into a celeberity, not a savior. It's like if you are a Christian you'd better let people know it. Have the t-shirts, the bumper stickers, "Jesus Saves" written ALL over your notebooks, you are the Leader of Teens for Christ...etc. I have begun to believe more and more that being a Christian is NOT about letting everyone know you are, but actually living your life like it too. (What a concept?!) Well there is my two-cents worth. Love you, Doug.

Kelsey