Thursday, May 24, 2007

On My Mind............

Here are some things that are on my mind......

97.5 FM ESPN RADIO
Houston just got an FM ESPN radio station. I love my daily dose of The Dan Patrick Show. Even if I get only a few minutes it is always great. In my mind there is not a better overall personality in sports. Great Interviewer and very funny.

Pregnancy Care Center
We've had several meetings now (see previous post if you don't know what I'm talking about) and are in the process of looking at mission and vision statements for the center and developing goals.

The beauty of this entire strategic planning team is the group of extremely qualified individuals that run the center are allowing everything (even things that aren't broken or needing to be fixed) to be critiqued and examined.

Just a thought....what if all of us and the organizations, churches, companies that we pour our lives into allowed this to happen?

I once had a mentor tell me there is nothing to fear about evaluation. In fact, we should embrace them as a way to allow other voices to be spoken into our lives and situations. This mentor loved to evaluate everything to a fault. He rubbed off on me, because I am constantly evaluating LIFE.

Shouldn't we always do this, in order to effectively use the time we have on earth? Can you do it too much?


Summer Is Here
Summer is always an amazing time. Our interns are starting this weekend and I am excited about their partnership with our youth ministry this summer. We have all the standard things planned: mission trip, camps, service projects, some fun stuff. I am currentlt trying to think about what youth ministry would be without all the busyness of summer.

Somewhere we got the idea that being gone to many different camps and mission trips somehow equaled changed lives. There is no denying that lives have definitely been changed over the years. But, have teens become so dependent on summer that they flounder during the year? Where did we get the idea that we had to have something going on 6 weeks out of the summer? Wouldn't two or three quality things be sufficient? I have no answers....just asking questions.

Prayer
Our home has been filled with great conversation the last couple of days. A question I am asking is, "Why do we pray?" Not a new question. Just one I'm thinking about.

For the few readers out there. Sorry for the massive drought. I would love to say it will get better in the summer. We'll see.

dp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To respond to your summer question about why we need to be busy in the summer, I think we think that it has to be that way. Our lives are busy ALL year long, not excluding summer. So really, we are just not going to school but filling up our time with a bunch of other stuff. Not that any of these things are bad, just like school's not bad(in my opinion, well it's needed). Modern society is so busy that we don't know what to do with ourselves when we aren't. What happened to just sitting on the couch reading or writing encouraging notes, or just being still. Those are things of the past for most people, sadly.

And to respond to prayer--I pray because I NEED it. On my "reading my Bible" and "praying" scale, praying is much heavier. I think I decided one day to apply the "Pray Continually" concept to my life--and it works out pretty well. I feel completely lost without that connection to God. If I realize at the end of the day that I've been so *busy* to pray then I freak out. In a way, I think God intended it like that. We need Him and prayer is our direct line, if you will, to Him. And there are times that I feel completely stupid praying and wonder if God even hears me, and then something amazing will happen, in the form of an answered prayer, and I know that God is listening.

So there are my two cents. Enjoy.

Kelsey Sanders

Larissa Smith said...

I think it is possible to evaluate too much. I value the need for assessing something in order to improve it. However, there is a time to take what you know to be a good option and go with it confidently. Spending too much time looking for a better or best option may result in less progress in the end. I firmly believe in God's desire to use imperfect people using imperfect methods to make divine differences.

Prayer serves as a reminder for me of who I am, and who I am not. It puts my role in perspective and refreshes my knowledge that I am the weak one and He is the strong one. This helps by both keeping me from feeling the need to take control and by freeing me from some overwhelming responsibilities.

As far as praying for God to change a circumstance, I have deliberated that myself. I'd love to hear some of what you all have discussed.

Anonymous said...

say goodbye to dan patrick, amigo